Chemawawin has Emergency Procedures laid out to ensure that all and any emergent threats are dealt with in a safe and secure manner no matter the size. The following procedures will allow you and your family to stay safe when an environmental or infrastructure emergency occurs:
If a House or Community Building Fire occurs:
- Remain inside your home if the fire is far enough away from the exterior walls of your home.
IF the fire is close to your home or INSIDE your home, EXIT your home and walk onto the road to ensure your safety.
- Call the local Fire Response line
- Wait in a safe location until the fire is out.
If you Witness a Fire (building or forest):
- Remain a far enough distance from the fire to ensure your own safety.
- Call the local Fire Response Line
If a Forest Fire Occurs:
- Remain inside your home until prompted to leave.
- Pack one bag per person with all emergent items in case the fire chief prompts evacuation.
- Await response from the fire chief, a siren will be set off to prompt everyone to evacuate.
- IF EVACUATED, ensure all individuals have a ride out of the community to safety. Try to partner with your neighbors to ensure everyone has a ride to safety.
In-Case of a Power Outage in the Winter:
- If the power outage is the whole community Call the Manitoba Hydro Power-Outage line to ensure the power-outage is recorded.
- If the power outage is only your home call the Band Office so an electrician can be sent to your home to fix the electrical issue.
- Ensure all doors and windows of your home remain closed to keep in all warm air.
- Find all blankets in your home and ensure all family members dress warmly to conserve body heat.
- If the power is out for over 5-7 hours, turn your stove on to 200 and open the door part way. This will heat your home in an emergency.
In-Case of a Fatal Fight or Shooting:
- Remain in your home or find a safe location away from the fight or shooting.
- Call 911
- Explain the situation and location to the RCMP
- Remain in your safe location until summoned by the RCMP if they ask for a witness and you feel safe doing so.
Emergency Contact Information:
Local Fire Response Line: (204)329-3096
Manitoba Hydro Power-Outage Line: 1-888-624-9376